Test your knowledge of Bristol by answering
our quiz. All the answers can be found by reading The
1. Which St Augustine is Bristol Cathedral dedicated to?
replaced Colonel Essex as commander of the Parliamentary troops
3. When the order of the Knights-Templar was abolished,
which other religious order was given Temple Fee?
4. According to
legend, the noise from which aeroplane gave Alfred the gorilla
a fatal heart attack?
5. In which year did the last St James' Fair
6. Where in Bristol was Alice Chestre's crane built?
7. What was
the name of the last woman to be publicly executed in Bristol?
Which spy wrote a letter to Christopher Columbus containing a detailed
description of the Matthew's voyage?
9. What by-product of copper-smelting
was used to build the Black Castle pub?
10. Who was Bristol given
to when Bishop Geoffrey de Montbray died?
11. Who ordered his cavalry
to charge against the Bristol rioters in 1831?
12. Where is Edmund
13. Which Bristolian unveiled a plaque in New York
which partly reads "It was not their homes but their valor kept them
14. Which group of disgruntled workers ransacked a
grain ship bound for Dublin in 1753 and broke into Bridewell
15. What letter did James Nayler have burnt on to his forehead?
Where in Bristol can you see statues of Brennus and Belinus?
What was the name of the self-help medical book written by John
18. Where in Bristol did John Bishop Estlin have his eye
19. From which area of Spain did Bristol merchants import the
sweet wine known as sack?
20. Which team did Bristol Rovers play
in their first match at the Eastville Stadium?
21. Which tribe
controlled the West of England at the time of the Roman invasion?
Who set up a pirate kingdom on Lundy Island in 1235?
23. Who was
the proprietor of Bristol Evening World newspaper?
24. Who ran
the mint at Bristol Castle in the late 1540s?
25. In which year
did the pioneering doctor William Budd arrive in Bristol?
In 1309, who did Edward II allow to 'farm' Bristol's taxes?
Who was known as The Black Diamond?
28. Who said of Bristolians
that they were "nott affable
to strangers, but rather admiring themselves"?
29. Who was
voted Bristolian of the Century in 1999?
30. What nationality
was Paul Dirac's father?
How did you do?
Check your answers against the answer sheet here.